The International Union of Muslim Scholars (IUMS), expresses its profound condolences over the passing of the distinguished Sheikh Al-'Allamah Delwar Hossain Sayeedi - may Allah have mercy on him - one of the most prominent preachers and orators in Bangladesh. His eloquent sermons deeply resonated with Muslims at large, and he left this world at the age of 83.
Born on February 1st, 1940, in the village of Sayed Khali in the Zia Nagar region of Ferozepur district in Bangladesh, he was famously known by the name 'Sayeedi' in homage to his forefathers. Sheikh Sayeedi started his primary education in the Islamic school established by his father and later graduated from Sarsina Islamic High School in 1962.
After graduating, he dedicated himself to intense studies in diverse fields, from Hadith and Tafsir to modern sciences, including political science, economics, and foreign affairs. His research extended to languages, beliefs, and ideas, lasting for over five years. He delivered numerous lectures on the Prophet's biography and actively participated in conferences and seminars, attracting large audiences. After Bangladesh's independence from Pakistan, he started giving annual lectures throughout the country, beginning in 1974.
Sheikh Sayeedi traveled to over fifty countries spanning Asia, Europe, America, Africa, and Australia. He was honored with several awards and medals for his scholarly contributions to the Islamic community. Notably, he was awarded the title "Al-'Allamah" by the Islamic Center of North America in August 1991 and received the "Grand Marshal" medal during a conference of American Muslims held in front of the United Nations building in 1993.
He authored 54 books, including a four-volume Tafsir of the Holy Quran. Five of his works have been translated into English.
Throughout his life, Sheikh Sayeedi held various important positions:
- Elected as a Member of Parliament in 1996 and 2001, representing the Ferozepur-1 constituency.
- Served on the Zakat Council in the Ministry of Religious Affairs.
- Held the presidency of the Executive Council of the International Islamic University of Bangladesh.
- Was a trustee of the International Islamic University of Chittagong.
- Served as the Deputy Chairman of the Shariah Board of the Islamic Bank of Bangladesh.
- Advised the Muslim World League's Bangladesh branch.
- Was the principal advisor to the Islamic College in London.
- Founded the New York Islamic School in America.
- Headed the Teachers' Council of Bangladesh.
The Islamic Ummah has lost a great scholar, sheikh, and Hadith specialist. We pray to the Almighty Allah to forgive and bestow His vast mercy upon him, granting him entrance to the highest levels of Paradise and placing him among the Prophets, the Righteous, and the Martyrs. We also pray for his family and loved ones to be granted patience and consolation during this difficult time.
To Allah we belong, and to Him we shall return.
Tuesday: 28th of Muharram 1445H , Corresponding to: August 15th, 2023
Prof. Dr. Ali Al-Qaradaghi, Secretary-General
Dr. Salem Saqaf Al-Jafari, President